Volkswagen’s Australian department desperately wishes a small crossover to rival the Mazda CX-Three and Nissan Qashqai, and it has the very best new fashion ready within the wings – doubtlessly.
The sublime little Volkswagen T-Roc made its professional premiere this week on the Frankfurt motor display forward of a rollout throughout Europe starting from November.
The oddly-named high-riding hatch, in accordance with a an identical model of the stretchable MQB structure as the brand new 2018 Polo hatch and Audi Q2, will slot into the Volkswagen vary under the 250mm-longer Tiguan.
However, there’s a slight downside – there’s no transparent timing on its Australian premiere.
Volkswagen’s native group have admitted there’s no ensure it’ll display up prior to the tip of 2018, even though its product making plans group is known to be pushing its German HQ exhausting at the factor. This is an actual downside, as it wishes the automobile the day before today.
“At this stage we can’t give you an update on when it’s coming,” a senior Volkswagen Australia govt informed us this week.
Reading between the strains, Volkswagen’s world control significantly underestimated the global call for for the little crossover, to be inbuilt Portugal along the Volkswagen Sharan and Seat Alhambra people-movers.
Countries in all places the arena – apart, largely, for the USA – are rising ever hungrier for small SUVs. In Australia this phase now has nine.Five in step with cent proportion of the total marketplace, and the Mazda CX-Three, Nissan Qashqai, Mitsubishi ASX and Honda HR-V all reasonable 1000 or extra gross sales each month apiece.
By lacking out in this marketplace, Volkswagen Australia is dropping possible gross sales.
To put it in a different way, whilst the Australian marketplace aside from industrial automobiles is now divided into more or less 50 in step with cent SUVs and 50 in step with cent passenger automobiles via gross sales, Volkswagen’s ratio is extra like 28:72. The corporate’s total marketplace proportion is four.eight in step with cent, however its proportion of the SUV marketplace is simply 2.nine in step with cent.
However, there’s mild on the finish of the tunnel for the native arm. Volkswagen’s member of the board of control for gross sales and advertising and marketing Jürgen Stackmann admitted to us this week that the corporate had already made up our minds to triple T-Roc production prior to the manufacturing unit line even started, to 200,000 devices once a year.
There’s definitely this may increasingly assist Australia’s purpose.
Stackmann additionally conceded that Volkswagen has been lamentably sluggish to enroll in the global SUV growth, even though stated this used to be being rectified with the T-Roc, Tiguan Allspace seven-seater by-product (due on sale in March right here), Atlas/Teramont full-size SUVs, plus the brand new T-Cross child crossover and next-generation Touareg each due in 2018.
There’s additionally the just-previewed I.D Crozz natural electrical crossover SUV that’ll move on sale in 2020 priced in a similar way to a top-end Tiguan (pictured under).
Volkswagen T-Roc main points
- The automotive has what VW calls “pioneering lines, coupe-style roof, strikingly wide front end and concise proportions”. You too can order one with the roof painted quite a lot of contrasting colors to the frame.
- Front Assist with self reliant emergency help, and lane help are all usual. Level Two Autonomous site visitors jam help is non-compulsory.
- The cabin can also be had with smartphone-style glass touchscreens as much as nine.2 inches, with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, plus the 11.7-inch Active Info Display virtual software cluster.
- The cabin comes with quite a lot of vibrant plastic inserts that you'll change out on every occasion, even though we spotted exhausting plastics in every single place too.
- There are six engines (petrol and diesel) headlined via a 85kW/200Nm 1.Zero-litre three-cylinder turbo-petrol and a 140kW four-pot. There are six-speed handbook and DSG auto gearbox choices, plus front-wheel force or 4Motion all-wheel force.
- Boot area is 445L/1290L, which is greater than a Mazda CX-Five or Ford Escape – each a lot larger SUVs. The HR-V has 437L/1462L.
MORE: Volkswagen T-Roc protection
2018 Volkswagen T-Roc production tripled, yet Australian timing still unclear