BMW Australia has pulled the covers off its manufacturing facility subsidized Team SRM M4 GT4 caged race car, forward of its deliberate access into the Bathurst 12 Hour and Australian GT Championship.
The M4 observe car – which has about 80 in line with cent street car elements, differentiating it from the extra honed M6 GT3 – may also be offered to privateers for native occasions, from round $300,000.
MORE: 48+12 Hours: Racing at Bathurst with the BMW M6 GT3
That’s about the similar because the F82 M4 GTS street car. The M4 GT4 makes use of the usual engine (with round 321kW as an alternative of the GTS’ 368kW), the usual dual-clutch transmission, even the similar starter button. Plus it has air vents from a Mini, which are compatible higher.
The philosophy in the back of the GT4 category is cost-effective GT racing, with a focal point on sharing era with street automobiles. By distinction, GT3-class automobiles are handiest about 20 in line with cent street car.
Given that Australia has the best possible proportional gross sales of M street automobiles on the planet, the selling advantages to having manufacturing facility subsidized racers throughout more than a few GT classes are glaring.
BMW Team SRM says it's been operating on securing one of the vital logo new GT4-spec racers since BMW first published plans to enroll in the burgeoning entry-level GT class, and finally was once a part of the early allocation when manufacturing commenced in Munich.
The Team SRM car has now arrived in Melbourne, with arrangements for subsequent February’s Bathurst 12 Hour in a position to start following a a success shakedown take a look at at Winton, comprising about 400km of circuit paintings led via Four-time Bathurst 1000 winner and BMW Team SRM boss, Steve Richards.
“The experience gained with the BMW Team SRM GT3 programme has encouraged us to further the relationship,” mentioned BMW Group Australia CEO, Marc Werner – himself a super-keen follower of motorsport.
“The M4 GT4 permits us to take it to the following point. As smartly as competing along the M6 GT3 within the 2018 Australian GT Championship, the M4 GT4’s talent to take part within the GT Trophy Series additional expands the motorsport chances for our passionate BMW M buyer base.
“Being so closely related to the M4 road car, the BMW M4 GT4 is an ideal step for those wanting to progress from track days to racing,” he mentioned.
Richards added: “It’s really easy to run. When we picked it up from the airport, I drove it onto the trailer.
“Everything about it's easy; it’s absolute best for an newbie racer to position at the trailer, head to the observe, have a force, after which put it again within the shed. It’s an excessively user-friendly, low-overhead car.
“It’s a correct racecar, too. It’s in line with the unbelievable street car platform but it surely’s no longer a manufacturing car – it’s constructed from the bottom up as a racer.
“Its nook velocity is unbelievable. There have been some Supercars and a few Carrera Cup automobiles operating all through the take a look at, and during the corners the M4 GT4 was once as rapid, if no longer quicker, than anything.
A 2d M4 GT4 has additionally just lately arrived within the nation and is now within the ownership of latest proprietor – and previous BMW Motorsport racer – Tony Longhurst.
Engine: Six-cylinder inline, 4 valves
Technology: M TwinPower turbo era, direct injection, Valvetronic
Capacity: 2979 cc
Output: “More than” 431 hp (relying on steadiness of efficiency)
Engine control: Production engine electronics – output by means of energy stick will also be adjusted consistent with outlined BoP
Exhaust gadget: Motorsport-specific light-weight exhaust gadget
Fuel Tank: FT3 protection tank
Capacity: 125 litres (relying on rules)
– DMSB-certified welded protection roll cage (compliant with FIA rules),
– Roof, doorways and bonnet comprised of CFRP
– Makrolon discs (heated entrance disc)
– Motorsport entrance splitters comprised of CFRP
– Motorsport rear wing comprised of CFRP, customisable
– Motorsport dive aircraft comprised of CFRP
– Air jack gadget
– Bonnet and hatchback quick-release lock
– Lightweight motorsport wiring harness
– Motorsport-specific keep an eye on connections
– Adjustable motorsport stabilisers entrance and rear
– Specially tailored motorsport surprise absorbers (Öhlins) entrance and rear
– Springs, each and every with 3 spring charges for the entrance and rear axle to be had
– Seven-speed twin take hold of transmission with motorsport instrument
– Mechanical differential lock with separate cooling
– Purpose-built output shafts with wheel bearings tailored for motorsport (rear axle)
Stability methods particularly tailored for BMW Motorsport (DSC/ABS)
– 11 x 18 inch alloy wheels
– Tyre dimensions: 300/660 R18
– Front: 6-piston, fastened calliper entrance, AP Racing
Diameter of brake disks: 390 mm
– Rear: Four-piston, fastened calliper rear, AP Racing
Diameter of brake disks: 355 mm
– Balance beams for adjusting the brake steadiness on the entrance and rear
– Double-suction brake air cooling
MORE: BMW M4 GT4 will cross racing in 2018
BMW M4 GT4 race car hits Australia