When it involves crunching the numbers on auto robbery, the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) is the authority on which vehicles are most frequently stolen in a given yr.
The NICB’s annual Hot Wheels document has simply been launched with ultimate numbers tallying car thefts around the nation for 2016.
You would possibly need to learn about this record before you purchase your subsequent new or used journey!
Read extra: How to keep away from purchasing a car that turns out legitimate however is if truth be told stolen
The new numbers from NICB be offering a take a look at the most stolen rides of any make, mannequin and yr all over the previous calendar yr. A separate record underneath tallies the most stolen 2016 mannequin yr vehicles reported stolen in the similar length.
Most stolen vehicles in 2016
This record must give Honda homeowners reason for worry. Taken in combination, thefts of 1997 Accords and 1998 Civics accounted for a whopping 42% of all thefts within the Top 10 record.
Fortunately, more moderen Hondas have sensible keys and different anti-theft era. Both of the ones components restrict the possibility more moderen Hondas will likely be stolen, in step with NICB.
Meanwhile, nearly each car at the Top 10 record is no less than one mannequin yr previous or extra. But what for those who’re purchasing a brand new car?
Most new vehicles in 2016
If you’re purchasing new new, give this record a look to get a way of what criminals like to focus on amongst present model-year vehicles.
What are you able to do to discourage car robbery?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a motor car is stolen each 33 seconds in America. Only 57% of the ones vehicles reported as stolen are recovered.
Sometimes automobile robbery is also past your keep watch over. For instance, circumstances of crooks the usage of laptops to damage into more moderen automobile fashions were captured on video.
But different instances fighting the robbery within the first position could be very potential. About part of all automobile robbery is a criminal offense of alternative. Leaving the keys within the automobile whilst you’re out and about working errands is the #1 scenario criminal can capitalize on, in step with the NHTSA. So don’t do it!
Here’s some other factor you’ll be able to do to discourage thieves: Hide your proprietor’s handbook! Some thieves were identified to make use of the landlord’s handbook to get substitute keys to vehicles they need to scouse borrow.
Here’s what AAA suggests you do to stop auto robbery:
- Always lock your car with the home windows closed. Even for those who park your car in a storage, this easy measure is added safety.
- Never go away assets out within the open to your automobile as they may tempt thieves.
- Never go away your keys to your car or go away your car working any time you don’t seem to be in it.
- Keep your car in safe, well-lit spaces. When conceivable, park in a locked storage. Also, believe putting in a motion-activated floodlight that illuminates where the place your automobile is parked.
- Use anti-theft or automated monitoring gadgets. If your car wasn’t supplied with an alarm or hidden monitoring instrument when bought, have one put in.
- Remove spare keys from car. Never conceal a spare ignition key to your car. Remove keys from below flooring mats, and many others.
Read extra: Top 10 towns for car robbery
Top pointers for getting a used automobile
Hot Wheels: America’s 10 most stolen vehicles